Wednesday, November 30, 2011

January Morning- Newest addition to the Girly Bits lineup. And a story behind the name


In loving memory of Carl Murtagh.

In January of 2010 my Dad passed away after bravely facing Alzheimer's disease. My immediate family consists of myself and my husband, and our three girls, my brother and his son, and my Mom and Dad. My dad was in a long term care facility after he had a mild heart attack and we were no longer able to care for him at home due to mobility and toileting issues. Between my Mom, my brother and my self, someone was with my Dad every single day for the better part of the day, and when we knew the time had come for him, -it was a Tuesday- we camped out at the LTCF with him 24 hours a day until he passed on the Sunday. The staff was excellent to us, feeding us, and giving us our privacy. I personally took over my Dad's care for that time, and the staff was very respectful of that and even let us take his bed and all our belongings into the common room, with a TV and couches etc and more space so our little family could camp out in relative comfort. On Saturday morning, as the sun rose, we opened the curtains in the huge bay window and let the sun wash over him. It seemed to breathe some life and energy into him, as that day was the best day he had had in a while. He was more responsive, and comfortable than we had seen him in weeks. My brother took a gorgeous photo of that sunrise, which we later used on Dad's memorial card, as it was the last sunrise he saw.  He passed at almost 4 am Sunday, and we left for home at 7 am. When we stepped outside, we realized it had been snowing all night, and on the drive home everything was completely covered in the MOST beautiful crystallized snow I  have EVER seen. Every tree branch, telephone wire and fence post was just gleaming with these diamonds. When we arrived home,  I touched the porch railing expecting it to be hard and frozen since it looked like diamonds. It was so soft and melted immediately. I will never forget it, it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I had never seen anything like that, nor have I seen it again. My 18 year old daughter came up with the idea for the colour, asking me to make a polish that looked as sparkly as the snow did the day that Grandpa died. And of course the name popped into my head immediately. I had no intention of it having a double meaning, but of course Morning could be interpreted as Mourning. And also my Mom`s initials are JM.

So this polish, called January Morning, holds a special place in my heart.
 And I am happy to share it with you.
This is one coat over white. It is intentionally sheer, so it can be layered over other colours as well.
January Morning is part of the newest Girly Bits collection,
and will be available for purchase for $6 as soon as the new bottles arrive.

Thanks for looking!
♥Pam♥

Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story! It's great that you could make something so beautiful as a 'bitter-sweet' memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry about your dad. This is such a touching story. Definitely a great name and a beautiful polish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching story, Pam...thanks so much for sharing! Can you put a bottle of this aside for me? I've been looking for this EXACTLY (and had on my list to ask you if you had something). What are the odds?
    - jacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderfully touching story...thank you for sharing it!! It looks like you did a great job of capturing the magic of that snow...I hope it reminds you of your Dad and fills your heart with peace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Pammy you made my eyes all watery with that! And I love the color!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW... your story made me cry and I'm speechless! It is a very lovely polish,by the way you described that morning snow, looks like you captured it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! your story is so touching! i'm so sorry to hear about your dad :( but what a wonderful way to remember him and capture that beautiful moment. (((HUGS)))
    ~beth~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, how touching. This made me teary! So sorry about your dad but it sounds like you have at least many good memories of him and he sounds like he couldn't have been surrounded by more loving people at his time.

    I love this color, it is perfect for what you described and I will NEED to get it when your new set is out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was an absolutely beautiful story! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can picture the color. Beautiful story beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have brought tears to my eyes with your bittersweet story, and now I truly must have this polish when you are ready to ship it out. You have so perfectly reproduced my favourite snow - I always gaze in wonderment like a child seeing snow for the first time, when it glistens and reflects light - so much so that it's blinding. Powdery, soft, like fairy dust (or holo glitter!) sprinkled over the landscape. Thank you for sharing yourself with us, and what a beautiful way to honour and remember your Dad. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all very much, for reading, and commenting. I am happy to be able to share the memories, and the polish with you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it. I want to order them all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I think this polish is a great job of capturing that glittering snow in the morning look. Both are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Touching story...funny how loss can open our eyes to the beauty of the world. The polish is a fine remembrance. Is it applied here alone or layered?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a profound and moving post. Thank you so much for sharing. Your tribute is beautiful and perfect. May your dad rest in peace, I am sure wherever he is this makes him so proud! HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @~Elizabeth aka Lacquered Lizard

    Thank you Elizabeth- The whole ordeal opened my eyes to a lot of beauty everywhere. In people and in the world.
    January Morning is layered here over white. Thank you for asking that. I will edit the post to add that info.
    I intentionally left it sheer so it can be layered over many things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful story :0)xxxJoolsxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Came here thru Leah Ann's FB page.I love the name especially more so because of the story behind it! What a touchingingly wonderful way to honour your father's memory.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely beautiful story. It is nice to associate the good things that follow the loss of a loved one! You are one special person!

    <3 Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful family you have! I think you have captured that morning perfectly in this color...it is just gorgeous. It's an awesome memorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your story, Pam,and how it connects to your passion. So cool. Your dad would have loved it...what great honour and respect for him.
    Seeing the beauty in the simple things is God's intention. It's truly amazing...
    What a fabulous colour!
    I will be placing an order.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is an amazing story! I read it, and it totally made me cry! I love Snow, and this polish looks exactly like it..Wow! Such great inspiration..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a lot. I read every comment. If you have any questions or want me to check out your blog, please email me at info@girlybitspolish.com